Private Dyslexia Tuition

students_positiveMany local dyslexia associations hold a list of specialist dyslexia teachers working in their area. There are specialist dyslexia teaching centres in different parts of England and Wales, but many specialist teachers prefer to work from home or provide a visiting service.

  • PATOSS [Professional Association of Teachers of Specific Learning Difficulties] has a national tutor index list available on its website. The list can be viewed here.

Ground rules should be established from the start and both parties should satisfy themselves that the tutor is able to meet the child’s needs and that they are able to relate well.

The following information may be useful as a guideline:

tuition_1Specialist Tuition

  • Teachers should be able to produce qualifications with dates, including Department for Education number if held;
  • Details of experience of teaching dyslexic children are essential;
  • One of the following specialist dyslexia teacher training qualifications is preferable:

1. A SpLD [Specific Learning Difficulties] Diploma which accredits teaching at primary, secondary and adult levels. Holders of this diploma may be eligible to apply for AMBDA [Associate Member of the British Dyslexia Association].

2. A SpLD [Specific Learning Difficulties] Certificate qualification for either primary, secondary or adult levels. The level accredited should be indicated. Holders of this diploma may be eligible to apply for ATS [Approved Teacher Status] from the British Dyslexia Association.

Details to consider

  • Would a multi-sensory structured programme such as Hickey, Alpha to Omega, etc., be used for literacy?;
  • Would it be appropriate for the specialist teacher to be familiar with the National Curriculum, or with particular GCSE syllabuses?;
  • Would study skills need to be taught?;
  • Would ICT be available and/or beneficial?;
  • Are there recommendations from a previously-undertaken assessment to work from?;
  • Would the teacher be suitably qualified to make an assessment either for their own teaching purposes or otherwise, e.g. for provisions for examinations such as GCSE [SpLD Diploma holders only]?;
  • Would the teacher be required to write reports or liaise with the school?;
    • Would homework be set with guidelines for parental assistance?

Fees and Conditions

  • It needs to be established as to whether the lessons will be on an individual or group basis;
  • Duration of lessons and fees together with payment arrangements need to be agreed;
  • Parents need to be informed as to whether there will be cancellation fees or additional charges for materials;
  • Agreement is needed as to how frequently verbal or written reports might be produced and whether these would be chargeable. Progress should be reviewed regularly, e.g. termly or at six monthly intervals with reports;
    • Certificates confirming DBS [previously CRB] clearance should be held. Those teachers employed by a DfE registered school should already have this in place. The Criminal Records Bureau [CRB] and the Independent Safeguarding Authority [ISA] have now merged into the Disclosure and Barring Service [DBS]. ‘CRB checks’ are now called ‘DBS checks’.

Useful Contacts

British Dyslexia Association

PATOSS [The Professional Association of Teachers of Students with Specific Learning Difficulties].

Department for Education

Dyslexia Lincs

If you live in the Lincoln area and are considering private tuition, Dyslexia Lincs offers a comprehensive service delivered by a fully qualified specialist teacher. Please visit the website or email for further information.